Once the hand stitching was done, the piece just didn't feel large enough to hold its own (I can't help but "go big or go home" for sewing projects). So, I pulled out my autumnal solid fabrics and Oakshott shot cottons to create a color cascade in the border.
I decided to quilt the whole thing up with simple spirals that slightly contrasted each solid color. The marriage of shiny shot cottons and Aurifil threads is so pretty to see in person! I used 50 weight threads 2850 (sage green), 2870 (green), 2140 (gold), 1135 (yellow), 2250 (red), 2460 (burgundy), 2240 (orange), and 1133 (light orange).
Oh, hi there! Here's a sewing selfie. Guess I was feeling cheeky that day.
I backed this in a favorite, autumnal Anna Maria Horner print from Dowry ("Postage Due").
I always think: "well, maybe that will be too much quilting. Maybe I should just let it be." I should never think that, because I'm NEVER disappointed with *more* quilting! Everyone has a different style and I'm a quilting maximalist. With this project, I realized that a marriage between "big stitch" hand quilting or embroidery with thick thread, combined with thin machine quilting, is something I want to explore even more. So, stay tuned (hint - see below). And a very Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Americans!