Today, I'm finally introducing my quilt, Trellis, which has quite a story and process behind her. She sits riiiight at the edge of the "Small Quilts" category, at 60" square. Similar to my other entry, Metropolis, this quilt was a long-term WIP that really challenged me to develop a myriad of sewing skills further. Apparently, I love a good challenge!
The concept behind Trellis began when I gleefully signed up for Anna Maria Horner's "Mod Corsage" workshop at QuiltCon 2015 in Austin, TX. Readers might already know how much I love her fabrics and admire her as an artist and teacher. Anyway, the premise of the class was making tons of different flowers. I learned a lot about fussy cutting, how her fabrics are strategically made, needle-turn applique, and piecing flowers. I wrote more about the class here if you're interested. I ended the day with a bunch of pieced flowers and possible leaves:
My overall concept: the "trellis" that you might see in a garden, holding up flowers that have woven themselves over and through it, is actually invisible. Since that was the image in my head from the beginning, I thought it would serve as a good name. I envisioned a large pieced flower (top left) as the starting point, with all kinds of flowers and leaves growing off of it.
Eventually, I decided to add two black bars on either side of the quilt to suggest a garden gate. Hopefully, the flowers would flow over it! It's abstract but I like the depth it provides. I eventually ran out of steam while machine appliqueing flowers and the quilt became much larger than I originally imagined, but I'm very happy with the final look!
The piecing process was drawn out and interesting, to say the least. My design wall and floor were very handy. Here are some progress shots of lots of low volume, random curves, and partial seams. Just some of the flowers are appliqued; the background is completely pieced. Somehow it all came together over a year and a half; it was frustrating at times and I had to put it away often. I honestly didn't know if it would get finished this year... but it did!
I made bias tape out of an old green AMH print, and it was perfect (see below)! I machine appliqued it all over the quilt, leading to different flowers and sections. That was probably the easiest part! I used my walking foot to quilt an all-over spiral from the top left (where the trellis started) with Aurifil 2024 (white). I felt like it was the only motif that could bring all of the elements of this busy, detailed quilt together, and the white blended perfectly.
My favorite section of the quilt is the one below, where I appliqued two different colorways of the "Summer Totem" print from Loulouthi (my favorite fabric EVER in the history of the world). This part really conveys the "trellis" image. Plus, the Pride and Prejudice text print in the background (from Ardently Austen) is one of my favorite low volume/text prints!
She's bound in low volume scraps for two major reasons: 1. To avoid detracting from the colors and gate bars and 2. Because I had a ton of scraps!
The backing is a conglomeration of many AMH prints I have hoarded and loved. Since I'm keeping this quilt forever, I figured it was worth using up some large pieces (it was). I'm particularly fond of "Summer Totem" (the large flowery piece on the left - I've always wanted to back something in that print thanks to inspiration from Ashley @wasntquiltinaday, who was in class with me!) and the book-like stacks!
One last picture. I was going to hang it on my sewing room wall but it's way. too. big. I tend to "go big or go home!" Oh well - maybe next sewing room. After a lot of work in so many skill areas, I feel so thrilled and relieved to have completed this thing!
Past Blogger's Quilt Festival entries:
Fall 2014 (nominated for Viewer's Choice)
Spring 2012 (First Place in Baby Quilt Category)